Sunday, April 07, 2013

Adobe Reader Scrolling Slowly on Mac

I found that Adobe Reader scrolls slowly when reading a PDF file, compared to Preview.  After reading some search result, I found that this was caused by some unknown built-in plugins.

To see what plugins have been installed, from the menu click "Adobe Reader"->"About Adobe Plugins".

If you want to check whether the slow scrolling problem is caused by the plugins, you can disable all plugins temporarily by press the shift key when you start the Adobe Reader.

To fix the problem by disabling plugins:

  1. Look for the plugin folder.  It was /Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Built-in on my computer (Adobe Reader 11.0.02).
  2. Move those culprit plugins out of the folder.  In case, I removed "Checkers.acroplugin" and "PDDom.acroplugin" from the folder.  This may need more experiments to see which plugin really caused the problem.
  3. Restart Adobe Reader.  You should see that the scrolling becomes fast.  
Even disabling the plugins, I still felt that Preview performed faster than Adobe Reader in my case.  However, the latest version of Adobe Reader seems to support more features for commenting.  That's why I still needed to use Adobe Reader sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment