Friday, December 22, 2006

openoffice + fglrx + scim Problem Solved

When I first upgraded to Ubuntu Edgy, as written in this post, I tried the ATI proprietary driver fglrx. However, when I started openoffice, it failed with this error:

Unknown error forking main binary / abnormal early exit

(Update for openoffice-2.0.4-ubuntu4: it just hangs when I start it.)

After several weeks, I finally found a solution to this problem, due to this post in Ubuntu forum by cnbiz850. The problem was due to incompatibility of scim + fglrx + openoffice. The solution suggested is to use "scim-bridge" instead of "scim" for the GTK_IM_MODULE. So what I did to solve it is:
  1. Install scim-bridge
  2. Modify /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95xinput and changed it to something like: GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
According to the README for scim-bridge found on my computer at /usr/share/doc/scim-bridge/README, this scim-bridge tries to solve a "C++ ABI problem", which happens sometimes when using scim with proprietary software, e.g. acroread.

2 comments:

  1. Or can use scim-bridge only with openoffice by adding the following line in the openoffice startup script /usr/bin/ooo-wrapper:

    $ENV{'GTK_IM_MODULE'} = 'scim-bridge';

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete